Welcome to Sound Projections

I'm your host Kofi Natambu. This online magazine features the very best in contemporary creative music in this creative timezone NOW (the one we're living in) as well as that of the historical past. The purpose is to openly explore, examine, investigate, reflect on, studiously critique, and take opulent pleasure in the sonic and aural dimensions of human experience known and identified to us as MUSIC. I'm also interested in critically examining the wide range of ideas and opinions that govern our commodified notions of the production, consumption, marketing, and commercial exchange of organized sound(s) which largely define and thereby (over)determine our present relationships to music in the general political economy and culture.

Thus this magazine will strive to critically question and go beyond the conventional imposed notions and categories of what constitutes the generic and stylistic definitions of ‘Jazz’, ‘classical music’, ‘Blues.’ 'Rhythm and Blues’, ‘Rock and Roll’, ‘Pop’, ‘Funk’, ‘Hip Hop’, etc. in order to search for what individual artists and ensembles do cretively to challenge and transform our ingrained ideas and attitudes of what music is and could be.

So please join me in this ongoing visceral, investigative, and cerebral quest to explore, enjoy, and pay homage to the endlessly creative and uniquely magisterial dimensions of MUSIC in all of its guises and expressive identities.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

India.Arie (b. October 3, 1975): Outstanding and innovative musician, composer, singer, songwriter, arranger, ensemble leader, producer, and teacher

 

 

 

SOUND PROJECTIONS

 



AN ONLINE QUARTERLY MUSIC MAGAZINE

 



EDITOR:  KOFI NATAMBU

 



SUMMER, 2020

 

 

VOLUME EIGHT    NUMBER THREE

BRIAN BLADE


Featuring the Musics and Aesthetic Visions of:

GIGI GRYCE
(May 16-22)

CLARK TERRY
(May 23-29)

BRANFORD MARSALIS
(May 30-June 5)

ART FARMER
(June 6-12)

FATS NAVARRO
(June 13-19)

BILLY HIGGINS 
(June 20-26)

HANK MOBLEY
(June 27-July 3)

RAPHAEL SAADIQ
(July 4-10)

INDIA.ARIE
(July 11-17)

JOHN CLAYTON
(July 18-24)

MARCUS MILLER
(July 25-31)

JAMES P. JOHNSON
(August 1-7)

https://www.allmusic.com/artist/indiaarie-mn0000084446/biography




India.Arie 

(b. October 3, 1975)

Artist Biography by


Acoustic Soul
India.Arie is among a small class of post-millennial R&B artists more likely to cite and recall the likes of Bill Withers and Roberta Flack than almost any given artist playlisted by urban contemporary radio stations. Arie entered with Acoustic Soul (2001), an album that carried on the tradition of introspective, additive-resistant singer/songwriter soul. Instantly embraced commercially, critically, and within the music industry, it was a Top Ten, multi-platinum success, and led to nominations in seven Grammy categories, including all of the big four: Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Album of the Year, and Best New Artist. Although Arie has placed eight singles on the Billboard R&B/hip-hop chart, she's an album artist through and through. Four subsequent LPs, including the Grammy-winning Voyage to India (2002) and the number one Testimony, Vol. 1: Life & Relationship (2007), all went Top Ten, with Arie making subtle refinements to her writing, shaking up her sound with African, Turkish, and contemporary country musicians instead of seeking hits with hot rappers. After five proper albums with major labels, Arie went independent with the new age crossover SongVersation: Medicine EP (2017), and followed it a couple years later with Worthy (2019). Born in Denver to parents from Memphis and Detroit, India Arie Simpson always had music in her life. Her family moved to Atlanta when she was 13, and after high school she began playing guitar with her mother's encouragement. Involvement in the Atlanta music scene led to the formation of an artist's collective called Groovement and an independent label, EarthShare, which released a compilation featuring the first songs credited to India.Arie. A second-stage slot on the 1998 Lilith Fair tour garnered interest from major labels, including Motown, which signed Arie after guaranteeing her artistic control. Heralded with "Video," a proudly individualist and anti-materialistic first single that eventually neared the pop Top 40, Acoustic Soul was released in March 2001 and entered the Billboard 200 at number ten on its way to multi-platinum certification. A slew of Grammy nominations ensued. "Video" was up for Record of the Year, Song of the Year, Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, and Best R&B Song. The parent release was nominated for Best R&B Album and Best Album. Arie herself was a Best New Artist nominee.

Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics
Wasting no time, Arie followed up in September 2002 with the number six entry Voyage to India, featuring "Little Things" -- a number 89 pop hit that lyrically referenced some of the artist's vintage favorites while subtly interpolating Rufus & Chaka Khan's "Hollywood." The song won that year's Grammy for Best Urban/Alternative Performance, while Voyage to India took the award for Best R&B Album. In June 2006, Testimony, Vol. 1: Life & Relationship was released as Arie's third album, a soul-searching post-breakup set of forgiveness and closure. Among the guests were Rascal Flatts, not the only indication that Arie was inspired by contemporary country music. The album topped the R&B/hip-hop and Billboard 200 charts, leading to Arie's third consecutive nomination for Best R&B Album, along with a pair of nominations for the standout single "I Am Not My Hair." Arie closed out the decade on Universal Republic with the more outward-looking Testimony, Vol. 2: Love & Politics, a number three entry upon its February 2009 release. As with each one of her previous LPs, it was nominated for Best R&B Album. A cover of Sade's "Pearls," featuring Ivory Coast singer Dobet Gnahoré, went over particularly well, winning that year's Grammy for Best Urban/Alternative Performance. Arie subsequently took part in Herbie Hancock's The Imagine Project and won another Grammy -- for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals -- as one of the featured musicians on its cover of John Lennon's "Imagine."
SongVersation
After a brief hiatus from the industry, Arie returned to Motown, through which she released SongVersation in June 2013. Gently uplifting, with input from a group of Turkish musicians including the Istanbul Strings, it became her fifth consecutive Top Ten album. Arie went on to perform with Stevie Wonder during the Motown giant's Songs in the Key of Life tour and, in 2015, teamed up with another legend, the Crusaders' Joe Sample, for the holiday release Christmas with Friends.
Newly independent and inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement, Arie's next solo release was the 2016 single "Breathe," which appeared the following June on the SongVersation: Medicine EP. Its stronger emphasis on wellness, combined with a uniformly soft, stripped-down sound, was acknowledged with a Grammy nomination in the category of Best New Age Album. Arie continued to draw from sounds across the globe with her sixth proper full-length, Worthy, released in February 2019. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/22/arts/a-soul-singer-with-a-vision-of-beauty.html

A Soul Singer With a Vision Of Beauty

IT'S not often you see the swaggering Eminem thrown off his game. But when he bumped into the soul singer India.Arie backstage at BET's after-school show, ''106 and Park: Top Ten Live'' one afternoon last month, he stopped dead in his tracks.

Eminem's homophobic, misogynistic and violent rap lyrics have made him the scourge of the P.T.A. and the politically correct. Ms. Arie's spiritual ballads and anthems of self-esteem have made her a beacon for those who believe that popular music must be an agent for positive change. Now, unexpectedly, they were face to face -- and Eminem suddenly looked like a schoolboy caught smoking behind the gym by the principal.

Ms. Arie broke the silence. ''I think you're brilliant,'' she said, resting her hand on Eminem's arm. ''We need to talk. I'd like to do something with you.''
Eminem's features softened and his lips curled into a smile. ''Definitely,'' he said. He then told Ms. Arie that he liked her debut album, ''Acoustic Soul.'' A photographer snapped pictures of this unlikely pair, and then they each turned to leave. Suddenly Ms. Arie whirled around and called out: ''Wait a minute, wait a minute! When's your birthday?''

''October 17th,'' Eminem said, amused.

''You're a Libra!'' Ms. Arie exclaimed with a wide smile, as if a mystery had been solved. Taking her seat in the van that was transporting her and her small entourage around the city, she said: ''That goes down in my book as today's information. Eminem's a Libra.''

If you haven't already guessed, Ms. Arie is a Libra, too, along with Sting, John Lennon and Mahatma Gandhi, she pointed out. (The proximity of her birthday to Gandhi's is the source of Ms. Arie's first name.) And the principal characteristic of that sign is honesty, she said, a virtue Ms. Arie has in great supply.

On ''Acoustic Soul,'' which came out last year and earned her seven Grammy nominations, Ms. Arie, who is 26, articulated a vision of African-American physical beauty that has proved inspirational to a large, passionate audience of young women. ''I'm not the average girl from your video,'' she sang on the hit song ''Video.'' ''And I ain't built like a supermodel/ But I learned to love myself unconditionally/ Because I am a queen.''

Even more tellingly, in a modern update of the 60's declaration that ''Black Is Beautiful,'' her seductive song ''Brown Skin,'' a tribute to a lover, was heard as a paean to black men and women whose dark coloring and broad features, like Ms. Arie's own, don't conform to white standards of beauty.

Rane, a female disc jockey for radio station WPGC in Washington, raised the issue directly with Ms. Arie in an interview backstage at rehearsals for MTV's Video Music Awards show, shortly after the singer's encounter with Eminem. ''It's a lot of sisters out here who admire you,'' the D.J. said, ''especially a lot of dark-skinned sisters. We always have this conversation at the station about chocolate sisters and how few there are in the music industry. Do you think it's been harder for you being darker than a paper bag?''

Ms. Arie laughed knowingly at the reference to an infamous measure of African-American beauty. ''It might have been a hard thing for me in high school or junior high, not being the prom queen or whatever,'' she responded. ''But I know for certain that God made us the way we're supposed to be, and I love everything about myself, the way I look, my nose, my skin.''

Ms. Arie's music only further enhanced her reputation as an artist of substance; centering on her acoustic guitar and confident but restrained vocals, it recalls such soul masters as Stevie Wonder and Roberta Flack.

Ms. Arie's new album, ''Voyage to India,'' which is to be released on Tuesday by Motown, might be considered the next chapter in the story she began to tell on ''Acoustic Soul.'' The title is borrowed from an instrumental on Mr. Wonder's 1979 album, ''Journey Through the Secret Life of Plants.'' And like her first album, ''Voyage'' combines songs of self-encouragement (''Little Things,'' ''Slow Down''), declarations of faith (''God Is Real'') and sensitive explorations of the bonds between men and women (''Talk to Her,'' ''Can I Walk With You,'' ''Complicated Melody'').

So why, then, would this woman think Eminem is ''brilliant''?

''You see, there's two different sides to that,'' she explained over dinner at the Candle Cafe, a funky health-food restaurant on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. ''I have an opinion about his effect on minds that are young and impressionable, obviously. On the other side of it, I love great art. And loving words, rhyme schemes and stories the way that I do, Eminem is brilliant. I'm just newly realizing that about him -- and Jay-Z too. I used to just think, 'Those words are irresponsible, and it's not good for children.' But I'm grownup, and I can deal with it. And when you look at the art of it, it's great.''
MS. ARIE is also aware that the high-mindedness of her music has created an image of her that is reserved and serious, even somewhat school-marmish. She is nothing like that in real life, however. Like her idol, Mr. Wonder, she is prone to burst into song whenever melodies float through her mind, as they often do. And when young fans approach her, as they did when she entered the lobby of MTV to do a taping earlier in the day, she outdid them in her enthusiasm. Her eyes rolling with delight, she twirled, waved her arms and danced. In her bright yellow shirt and head-wrap, she was a sight to see. ''Be sure not to tell everybody I'm so silly,'' she playfully warned at one point. ''I'm supposed to be deep.'' Then she laughed and shouted, ''Destroy the misconception!''

Most important to Ms. Arie, clearly, is the freedom to follow her creative impulses, and that requires not being boxed in by anyone's expectations. It's part of what ''Voyage'' is about. When ''Acoustic Soul,'' which has sold more than 1.6 million copies domestically, began to catch fire in the marketplace, Ms. Arie said, she had to struggle to keep a grip on herself, and her own expectations.




India Arie (1975- )


India Arie is a four-time Grammy award-winning singer, songwriteractress, and record producer. She has sold over 10 million records worldwide.

Arie was born in Denver, Colorado on October 3, 1975 to parents Joyce and Ralph Simpson. When she was 13, her parents divorced and Arie moved with her mother and siblings to Atlanta, Georgia. When she got to Atlanta, Arie began to play guitar. Arie went on to also play the saxophone, baritone clarinet, French horn, and trumpet. Arie attended Savannah College of Arts and Design where she studied jewelry design. She would eventually give this up to focus her attention on music.

Collaborating with other local artists in Atlanta, Arie and the artists eventually formed the music group Groovement. The group was very successful, but in 1999, Arie was discovered by and signed a deal with Motown records in Los Angeles, California.  There at the age of 24 she began her career as a solo artist.

Arie is famous for writing songs about female empowerment and dismissing the societal standards of beauty. Arie’s debut album, Acoustic Soul, was released in 2001 and earned her seven Grammy nominations. The album was also certified double platinum by the Music Industry Association of America (RIAA).

In 2002, Arie released her second album, Voyage to India. It was certified platinum by the RIAA and it won Best R&BAlbum at the 2003 Grammy Awards. Arie’s success continued with her albums Testimony: Vol 1, Life and Relationship and Testimony: Vol 2, Love and Politics released in 2006 and 2009, respectively. Her album, Testimony: Vol 2 debuted at #3 on the Billboard 200 list. Arie took a few years off from making music and in 2013, she released her fifth album, Songversation. Arie released a collaborative album with musician Joe Sample called Christmas with Friends in 2015. In 2016, she released a song called “Breathe” that was inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement and the death of Eric Garner. In 2017, Arie released her first EP called Songversation: Medicine.

Arie has four Grammy awards and 21 Grammy nominations. She also has two BET awards, four NAACP Image awards, and has been nominated for five Soul Train music awards.


https://www.unity.org/publications/unity-magazine/articles/listening-%E2%80%A6-indiaarie-sound-affects

Listening in With … India.Arie: Sound Affects



Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter India.Arie, now 39, became a sensation in her late 20s when her debut album, Acoustic Soul, went double platinum in 2001. In the next eight years, she cut three more albums and saw her total worldwide album sales reach 10 million. Her unique sound—described as R&B, folk, neo-soul, and combinations thereof—garnered her four Grammys. But in 2009, a frustrated Arie walked away from the industry with no promises to return. Fortunately, her hiatus ended in the spring of 2013 with the release of her fifth and newest album, SongVersation, which makes several strong spiritual statements. Unity Magazine editor Katy Koontz spoke with the artist about her unapologetic passion for spirituality and the power of sound to raise consciousness.
Katy Koontz: You’ve always shared empowering spiritual messages in your music, so did your spirituality deepen during your time away, or did you just decide to focus more on it?

India.Arie: I grew up in both Baptist and Pentecostal churches, but even then my parents were more about wanting us to have a relationship with God than being dogmatic. That changed a bit when my father became a pastor, but I was already in my mid- to late teens, and by that time, I was shaping my own beliefs based on what I felt in my soul. 

So when I took that time off, I got stronger and more mature, and so of course my spirituality got even deeper than it already was. A big part of that spiritual maturing was that I had more trust—I realized I could just sing the things I wanted to sing and that it would work out. 

KK: It sounds like you were really able to relax into that trust and go with the flow.

I.A: When I’m in the flow, I honor it, because I know how easy it is to fall out of it. So even if I’m scared to say something, I do it, because it’s like that saying, “Why ask God for directions if you’re not willing to move your feet?” I know I have to do what I hear, or I suffer. I get my butt kicked! There’s never an easy way out of that. 

But when I say I had more trust, I don’t mean I had trust that things would be great. I mean I trusted that I would be able to deal with whatever happened and that choosing that path would work for me, even if it didn’t work for the people around me—or even if it made things a bit harder, which it did, because SongVersation is the least-selling album I’ve ever done. But it’s also the most creative and fulfilling album I’ve ever done—by far!

KK: How would you describe your spiritual practice? 
I.A: Prayer, meditation, movement, and music. I never said that before, but that is how I’d describe it. And one more thing: reading. 
KK: What kind of movement?

I.A: Mainly yoga and dance. But even deeper than that, it’s the beauty of being in a place in my life where I have figured out what my physical language is. I spent most of my life living in my head, so dropping down into my body and learning how I love to move is wonderful. I love when I’m doing yoga and I feel emotions releasing as I’m rolling through the balls of my feet. I celebrate that because I was disconnected from my body for so long—until I was in my early 30s. I gained all this weight and then in the process of getting the weight off, I started really feeling my body. I was never a dancer before—I was too shy—but now I dance all the time. I have a ballet bar in my living room. 

KK: What kind of meditation do you practice?

I.A: I haven’t spoken about this often, but the best way to describe it is to say that my spiritual mentor, who’s been in my life since I was 19, taught me how to understand my own language of meditation. And it works—I get clarity, and I get answers, and I get songs and lyrics. I get whatever I need when I need it. He called it increasing my inner vision, and because I love Stevie Wonder, I call it my “innervision,” playing off of the name of his Innervisions album. My innervision has guided every choice I’ve made in my life. Every big decision, every song—it all comes from that place. 

KK: What feedback have industry executives and peers shared about the shift you made with SongVersation?

I.A: I don’t think industry executives know enough about who I really am to perceive it as a shift. I was always too esoteric and too different—too hard to put in a box, and I still am. They don’t see me. I don’t mean to sound negative, it’s just true. For them, it’s not about the craft; it’s just about how much you can sell. 

The consensus from my peers was, “This is so brave.” Then Stevie Wonder called and said, “The whole family is together and we are all listening to your album, and this is the best one.” Having him say that just meant everything to me. It was huge! He said, “Aisha’s favorite one is this, and Kwame’s favorite one is that.” I care more about his opinion of my music than almost anyone, next to my mom, because I love the way he brings spiritual messages inside of a joyful sound.

The most amazing response, though, was from the audiences, and the song they talk about most is “I Am Light.”
KK: I love that song! It’s a centering song.

I.A: Yes! That’s my favorite cut on the whole album, and it’s the first song I sing when I go out on stage because it centers me and it seems to center the audience. Everyone screams at the top of their lungs when I walk out, but when I sing “I Am Light,” they’re always 100 percent pin-drop quiet. 

KK: That song is so simple, yet so powerful: “I am not the mistakes I have made or any of the things that caused me pain,” “I am not the voices in my head,” “I’m not my age, I am not my race,” “I am light.” Those three words say it all.

I.A: The truth generally is simple. Before I start writing, I pray my intentions for what I want the song to feel like or what I want to be able to do in the world with it. The day I wrote that song was 12/12/12, and I said to myself, I want to write a song today that will help people see the truth of who they really are and that will remind me of who I am too. So I started writing it, and then the voices in my head started telling me, I am light? Really? People are going to say this and they’re going to say that … It took me a while to quiet that stuff. 

KK: In “One,” you sing, “Some say God’s a him and still many believe that he is a her. Does God live in our hearts, or is she somewhere out there in the universe?” Did you catch any heat for suggesting that some people see God as female?

I.A: Not so far. And really, what I’m suggesting is that it doesn’t matter what you call God. When I sing that song live, people start holding hands, as if they’re thinking, That’s right, that’s right! We are one! They shout out, “Yes!” and clap in the middle. It’s cool.

KK: What is it about music that makes it so effective for reaching people on a spiritual level like that? 

I.A: I think our subtle body—the eternal part of us that extends beyond our physical body—is affected by the vibration of sound. Sound actually moves the subtle body—it shakes it. Sound can make that subtle body grow or shrink or heal. To me, that’s what prayer is too. Prayer is a sound; it’s an incantation. In my opinion, music at its best is prayer. And when there are lyrics, the words affect thought patterns and consciousness. They’re so powerful, both in positive ways and obviously in negative ways too.

KK: Speaking of that, what do you think about the energetic effect of today’s increasingly violent and misogynistic lyrics—particularly in rap music? 

I.A: The way we’re using that very powerful, impactful, sacred thing that we call sound is a lot of the reason why our kids are in trouble. It makes me so mad because it teaches people to think that way, and so then that’s what people are hungry for, and so then the music industry creates more of that. It just keeps feeding on itself. 

I have always been on that journey of how to shift the consciousness of people so that they’re hungry for something else—to spread love, healing, peace, and joy through the power of words and music. 
I can’t count how many times I have seen young people come into the business, and then their natural inclination shifts to accommodate what is more commercial. Their energy and all that magic they had is gone. It happens all the time. I get it, it’s a business. But I have learned to define success by how true I am to myself and how accurately I can put how I feel about something into a song. I used to be afraid to say certain things, but now there’s nothing that I believe spiritually that I can’t write a song about. In fact, when I wrote “One,” I thought, I’m going to write a song that has everything that I was always afraid to say all in one song.

KK: So what does it feel like to sing that?

I.A: Like I’m coming alive. My spirituality is the center of my life, but my life’s passion is my music, and to have any fear around that feels like being caged. I took those four years off because I began to feel horrible, and I thought, There has to be something better than this. I needed to remember who I was outside of who people kept telling me I was. For a while, their distorted vision of who I was worked for me, but then it started to feel stifling. I wasn’t able to grow because they couldn’t accept that I was a lot more than the way they saw me. I also got tired of putting myself in situations where I had to live up to some expectation that was never mine.

KK: So how did you approach your time off?

I.A: In the beginning, I started thinking, Who really am I as a performer? I’m not up there to sing and dance and get everybody to clap their hands. Those things are fun, but that’s not who I see myself as. It took me a month of constant thinking until the word songversation finally came through. So when I get on stage now, I tell the audience, “This is not a concert. This is a songversation,” and then I proceed to do it so they can see what it is because it’s a word I made up. For me, it’s equal parts spiritual conversation and singing. 

I don’t see myself as a teacher so much as a person who has a lot to say. That’s just my nature—I love to read, I journal obsessively, and I think a lot. I used to feel like when I was in concert, I had to squeeze out everything I wanted to say really fast and then sing, because I felt guilty—like hearing me talk is not what people came for.

So during this time away, I created this moniker and this new show. And in May last year, I participated in an event called “Our Inner Lives: Spirit, Faith and Action” in New York City. It was my first time singing the songs on SongVersation in front of an audience—and they gave me a standing ovation after every song. I cried so hard that I cried my eyelashes off! I had been through so much to be able to speak all these messages and speak my truth. I had come so far, and they kept responding with so much enthusiasm. 
KK: Was it scary making the decision to step away?
I.A: Loving my music as much as I do made it easier because I’m so protective of my creative self. I don’t have kids, so this is what matters most to me. The impetus for growth is right there. It’s not like I’m going to be able to say, “No, I don’t want to grow.” That doesn’t even sound possible.

KK: Even knowing growth is often painful?

I.A: I used to think that avoiding pain was what you were supposed to do. But sometimes life is going to hurt—I get that now. I don’t want to walk into painful situations but I know that inside of anything we care about, there’s going to be things that cause pain. So let’s live life and deal with the pain when it comes—and feel blessed that we care that much about something. 

Your scars signify that you went through stuff and you healed from it—that’s what makes a person wise and mature. I understand that because I have my own scars now, and I love them. I never want to go back to any age I was before. I like the age where I am now, and I hope I keep saying that ’til the day I die because that means I’m accepting my life as it is. That’s peace. Peace is not when everything is okay; it’s when you accept where you are. 

KK: That would make a great song.
I.A: It would, actually—you’re right. I’m writing that down right now! 


India.Arie is part of the conversation again



India.Arie - Video (Official Video)


 


India Arie - Steady Love (Official Video)





India.Arie - The Truth (Official Video)





India.Arie - Crazy (Official Video)





India.Arie - Welcome Home (Crazy / Sacred Space







India.Arie - That Magic (Official Video)






India.Arie - Little Things (Official Video)








India.Arie - Brown Skin (Official Video)






India.Arie "Breathe" Official Video






The Story Of India Arie





India. Arie- Georgia On My Mind (Audio)






India.Arie Gives Soulful "Steady Love





India.Arie - What If (Audio)





India.Arie "One" - Official Video






India.Arie - Can I Walk With You






India.Arie - Follow The Sun (Audio)







Welcome Home Live Chat