Welcome to Sound Projections

I'm your host Kofi Natambu. This online magazine features the very best in contemporary creative music in this creative timezone NOW (the one we're living in) as well as that of the historical past. The purpose is to openly explore, examine, investigate, reflect on, studiously critique, and take opulent pleasure in the sonic and aural dimensions of human experience known and identified to us as MUSIC. I'm also interested in critically examining the wide range of ideas and opinions that govern our commodified notions of the production, consumption, marketing, and commercial exchange of organized sound(s) which largely define and thereby (over)determine our present relationships to music in the general political economy and culture.

Thus this magazine will strive to critically question and go beyond the conventional imposed notions and categories of what constitutes the generic and stylistic definitions of ‘Jazz’, ‘classical music’, ‘Blues.’ 'Rhythm and Blues’, ‘Rock and Roll’, ‘Pop’, ‘Funk’, ‘Hip Hop’, etc. in order to search for what individual artists and ensembles do cretively to challenge and transform our ingrained ideas and attitudes of what music is and could be.

So please join me in this ongoing visceral, investigative, and cerebral quest to explore, enjoy, and pay homage to the endlessly creative and uniquely magisterial dimensions of MUSIC in all of its guises and expressive identities.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Roberta Flack (b. February 10, 1939): Legendary, iconic, and innovative musician, singer, songwriter, arranger, producer, ensemble leader, and teacher




SOUND PROJECTIONS

AN ONLINE QUARTERLY MUSIC MAGAZINE

EDITOR:  KOFI  NATAMBU

  SUMMER, 2016

  VOLUME THREE           NUMBER ONE




MARY LOU WILLIAMS

Featuring the Musics and Aesthetic Visions of: 
 
JULIUS HEMPHILL
June 18-24

ARTHUR BLYTHE
June 25-July 1

 
OSCAR BROWN, JR.

July 2-July 8

DONNY HATHAWAY
July 9-July 15

EUGENE McDANIELS
July 16-July 22

ROBERTA FLACK
July 23-July 29


WOODY SHAW
July 30-August 5

FATS DOMINO
August 6-August 12

CLIFFORD BROWN
August 13-August 19

BLIND WILLIE McTELL
August 20-August 26

RAHSAAN ROLAND KIRK
August 27-September 2

CHARLES BROWN
September 3-September 9





ROBERTA FLACK
(b. February 10, 1939)

Artist Biography by

Classy, urbane, reserved, smooth, and sophisticated -- all of these terms have been used to describe the music of Roberta Flack, particularly her string of romantic, light jazz ballad hits in the 1970s, which continue to enjoy popularity on MOR-oriented adult contemporary stations. Flack was the daughter of a church organist and started playing piano early enough to get a music scholarship and eventually, a degree from Howard University. After a period of student teaching, Flack was discovered singing at a club by jazz musician Les McCann and signed to Atlantic. 

First Take

Her first two albums -- 1969's First Take and 1970's Chapter Two -- were well received but produced no hit singles; however, that all changed when a version of Ewan MacColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," from her first LP, was included in the soundtrack of the 1971 film Play Misty for Me. The single zoomed to number one in 1972 and remained there for six weeks, becoming that year's biggest hit. Flack followed it with the first of several duets with Howard classmate Donny Hathaway, "Where Is the Love." "Killing Me Softly with His Song" became Flack's second number one hit (five weeks) in 1973, and after topping the charts again in 1974 with "Feel Like Makin' Love," Flack took a break from performing to concentrate on recording and charitable causes. 
Blue Lights in the Basement

She charted several more times over the next few years, as she did with the Top Ten 1977 album Blue Lights in the Basement -- featuring "The Closer I Get to You," a number two ballad with Hathaway. A major blow was struck in 1979 when her duet partner, one of the most creative voices in soul music, committed suicide. Devastated, Flack eventually found another creative partner in Peabo Bryson, with whom she toured in 1980. The two recorded together in 1983, scoring a hit duet with "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love." 
Roberta
 
Flack spent the remainder of the '80s touring and performing, often with orchestras, and also several times with Miles Davis. She returned to the Top Ten once more in 1991 with "Set the Night to Music," a duet with Maxi Priest that appeared that year on the album of the same name. Her Roberta full-length, featuring interpretations of jazz and popular standards, followed in 1994. As she continued into the 21st century, Flack recorded infrequently but released albums like 2012's Let It Be Roberta: Roberta Flack Sings the Beatles, which showed that her poise and balanced singing had aged well. Varese Sarabande released a lovingly remixed version of Flack's fine 1997 holiday album Christmas Songs (it had originally appeared from Capitol Records under the title The Christmas Album) that same year, adding in an additional track, "Cherry Tree Carol."
 
Roberta Flack
(b. February 10, 1939)

Internationally hailed as one of the greatest singers of our time, GRAMMY Award winning Roberta Flack remains unparalleled in her ability to tell a story through her music. Her songs bring insight into our lives, loves, culture and politics, while effortlessly traversing a broad musical landscape from pop to soul to folk to jazz.

Classically trained on the piano from an early age, Ms. Flack received a music scholarship at age 15 to attend Howard University. Discovered while singing at the Washington, DC nightclub Mr. Henry's by jazz musician Les McCann, she was promptly signed to Atlantic With a string of hits, including, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Where Is the Love (a duet with former Howard University classmate Donny Hathaway), Killing Me Softly With His Song, Feel Like Makin' Love, The Closer I Get to You, Tonight I Celebrate My Love, and Set the Night to Music, Ms. Flack has built a musical legacy. In 1999, she aptly received a Star on Hollywood's legendary Walk of Fame.

Roberta is currently involved with a very exciting studio venture — an interpretive album of Beatles' classics.

She regularly plays to appreciative audiences around the world, and had the pleasure of appearing recently with the National Symphony Orchestra in Washington DC, conducted by Marvin Hamlisch. In February 2009, Ms. Flack performed with critically acclaimed orchestras in Australia, including the Melbourne, Queensland, Adelaide, Tasmanian, West Australian and Sydney Symphonies.

Very active as a humanitarian and mentor, Ms. Flack founded the Roberta Flack School of Music at the Hyde Leadership Charter School in the Bronx, providing an innovative and inspiring music education program to underprivileged students free of charge.

Download Bio PDF


Roberta Flack
                                                            ROBERTA FLACK

Roberta Flack 
Biography

Songwriter, Singer (1939–)

Quick Facts
Name
Roberta Flack
Occupation
Songwriter, Singer
Birth Date
February 10, 1939 (age 79)
Education
Howard University
Place of Birth
Black Mountain, North Carolina

Roberta Flack is a Grammy-winning singer and pianist known for hits like “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and “Feel Like Makin’ Love.”

Synopsis

Roberta Flack was born on February 10, 1937, in Asheville, North Carolina, and signed to Atlantic Records before releasing her debut album First Take. She's had hits in the ‘70s-‘90s, including “Killing Me Softly With His Song,” “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” and “Where Is the Love,” and she collaborated frequently with soul legend Donny Hathaway. Flack has also won several Grammys.

Early Life

Born on February 10, 1937, in Black Mountain, North Carolina, Roberta Flack is the daughter of a church organist. She began taking piano lessons at an early age and eventually received a music scholarship to Howard University. After graduation, she taught music and sang in clubs, where she was discovered by jazz musician Les McCann who helped her land a record deal with Atlantic.

Commercial Success

Flack's first two albums were well received, but it wasn't until her version of Ewan MacColl's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" hit the radio waves as part of the soundtrack for Play Misty for Me that she gained national recognition. The song soared to be the number one hit for 1972, and Flack followed with several other chart-topping duets with Howard classmate Donny Hathaway, including "Where Is the Love," "Killing Me Softly with His Song" and "Feel Like Makin' Love."

During the late 1970s, Flack took a break from performing to concentrate on recording and charitable causes. In 1979, tragedy struck when Hathaway committed suicide, and she was forced to find another partner. Eventually teaming up and touring with Peabo Bryson in 1980, the duo scored a hit in 1983 with "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love." She spent the remainder of the 1980s touring and performing, and returned to the Top Ten once more in 1991 with "Set the Night to Music," a duet with Maxi Priest. In 1997, Flack released an anthology of Christmas standards simply titled Christmas Album.


http://www.soultracks.com/roberta_flack.htm

Web Sites:


Artist Biography

Over the two decade period from 1970-1990, Roberta Flack quietly opened doors for a new generation of female singers, making beautiful music but also making history. Her gentle amalgamation of Soul, Gospel and folk, combined with a message of both empowerment and love, created an intelligent, thoughtful pathway for modern singers such as India.Arie and Jill Scott.

Born in Asheville, North Carolina in 1937, Flack was attracted to music and became a talented singer and pianist at a very young age. In addition to her musical family, the members of which were involved in their church choir and orchestra, she was influenced by the great Gospel singers of her day, especially Mahalia Jackson. Amazingly, she was accepted into Howard University on a full music scholarship at age 15, and there she met future singing partner Donny Hathaway. Jazz pianist Les McCann heard her perform in 1968 and brought her to the attention of Atlantic Records, which signed her in 1969.

Her 1970 debut album, First Take, was a sparsely arranged, acoustic album that combined elements of soul, folk and jazz, and was a mild success until Clint Eastwood included the slow ballad, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," in his 1972 thriller Play Misty For Me, after which the song was released as a single and shot to #1. In the meantime, however, she had released three other albums, including Chapter Two, Quiet Fire and her album of duets with Hathaway, Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway. The former two solidified her appeal to a new generation of educated, urban African Americans, while the latter became an unadulterated smash across the board and a critical favorite of a scope perhaps still unmatched by any subsequent album of duets. It became a radio favorite based on such great cuts as "Where is the Love" and "You've Got A Friend," but became a classic because of the deep balladry and  sensitivity of "Come Ye Disconsolate," "I (Who Have Nothing)," "Be Real Black for Me" and a breathtaking cover of "For All We Know."

After the success of "The First Time," Flack scored even bigger with the album and single "Killing Me Softly," her second number one and a hit 20 years later for the Fugees. She followed the next year with the jazzier Feel Like Makin' Love. Despite significant resistance from Atlantic, she took on the role of producer for that album (using the pseudonym "Rubina Flake") and surrounded herself with an amazing crew of jazz musicians and singers, including Bob James, Ralph McDonald, Hugh McCracken and Patti Austin. She was vindicated when the title cut became her third #1.

Flack slowed down her recording schedule over the next couple of years, but came back in 1977 with another classic duet with Hathaway, "The Closer I Get To You" (most recently remade by Luther Vandross and Beyonce). It also hit #1 and led off her solid Blue Lights in the Basement, which also included a wonderful ballad "Where I'll Find You." She stumbled a bit the next year, working with pop producer Joe Brooks ("You Light Up My Life") on her rather bland eponymous 1978 album, but scored a minor hit with "If Ever I See You Again." That year she began working on another album of duets with Hathaway, but their collaboration was tragically cut short when Hathaway committed suicide. His death sent her reeling, but in 1980 she released the album Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway, which included mostly solo material but also two songs she had completed with Hathaway before his death ("Only Heaven Can Wait" and Stevie Wonder's "You Are My Heaven").

In 1979, Flack began a sporadic two decade singing relationship with Peabo Bryson, starting with the disappointing Live and More disc, but redeeming itself three years later with the fine Urban Adult Contemporary disc Born to Love. The latter resulted in a number of notable songs, including the #1 "Tonight I Celebrate My Love," "You're Looking Like Love to Me," and the excellent album cut "Maybe." Her solo recordings during the period had less success.

Flack then took another few years off before producing and releasing the airy Oasis in 1988. It was her most consistently pleasing album in 15 years, and included great material (some written by Flack) and another top notch posse of musicians. Oasis reintroduced Flack to urban adult audiences and stayed on the charts for several months. She followed it three years later with Set the Night to Music, a lesser disc that included a hit duet with Maxi Priest. In 1994 Flack released Roberta, an album of standards that became her last major release. She has since recorded two Christmas albums, 1997's Christmas Album (which included "As Long As There Is Christmas," a duet with Bryson that was included in Beauty and the Beast 2) and 2003's Holiday.

In February 2005, Rhino Records released The Very Best of Roberta Flack, an excellent career retrospective that includes all the hits and a number of fine album cuts. It is the best and most comprehensive compilation yet of Flack's legendary career.

Flack continues to tour regularly, particularly in the annual Colors of Christmas tour. She is also actively involved AEC (Artist Empowerment Coalition), an advocacy group working for artists' rights and control of their creative properties.

In 2009, Flack began mentioning publicly that she was working on a Beatles tribute album, to be titled Let It Be Roberta. She released the first single, "We Can Work It Out," in Fall of 2011 and the album is slated for a February 2012 release.

Roberta Flack continues to be admired by a younger generation of intelligent, creative soul singers whose pathway to success was in large part paved by this talented, classic soul artist.

by Chris Rizik




https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/29/roberta-flack-soundtrack-of-my-life-fugees-killing-me-softly 






Roberta Flack: soundtrack of my life




The award-winning jazz singer on wanting to be Chopin, the purity of the Beatles, and why she loves the Fugees’ take on her signature tune



Born in North Carolina and raised in Arlington, Virginia, Roberta Flack started out playing classical piano, first teaching music and then rising to fame as a jazz singer in the early 70s. Her first hit, boosted by its inclusion on the Play Misty for Me soundtrack, was a Grammy-winning version of Ewan MacColl’s The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. She won a second Grammy in 1974 for her version of Killing Me Softly With His Song, which was successfully covered two decades later by hip-hop act the Fugees. Her most recent album is Let It Be Roberta, a collection of Beatles covers, and she joins Dionne Warwick, the Drifters and the Supremes’ Mary Wilson for the Legends Live UK tour, 3, 4, 6 October.

The song that made me want to sing

Trouble of the World by Mahalia Jackson (1956)


I grew up in Arlington, Virginia, in a place that the black people referred to as Green Valley. It was not a green valley at all but it was OK. My family was a happy family. My mom played the organ and piano; I had lots of relatives who sang. One artist who inspired me was Mahalia Jackson. I loved her voice. It gave me goosebumps. I didn’t think I could ever sing like that because I had a very slight voice when I was a child, but now I realise that what I was hearing from Mahalia was her experience – as an adult, as a musician. All that comes into play when you perform.






The music I loved to play in church

Handel’s Messiah (1741)

I started classical piano lessons when I was nine. In the church I grew up in, gospel music was not the important thing. I remember playing Handel’s Messiah on the organ for the church choir when I was 13 or 14. We weren’t mindblowers, I’m not trying to suggest that, but it was exciting to have that assignment. Handel was a serious guy – an astute musician and songwriter. He put a lot of work into Messiah, but the reason we like singing “Hallelujah” so much is because it’s easy to remember.





The song that kickstarted my singing career

Don’t Take Your Love From Me (written by Henry Nemo and published in 1941)

When I was 15, I enrolled at Howard University in Washington DC. Every year, they had a freshman talent show at the music school. I was recruited to play piano for a girl from Atlanta, Georgia, who wanted to sing Don’t Take Your Love From Me. She had a lovely voice, but on the day she decided she couldn’t do it, she was too nervous, so the senior music student running the show asked me if I’d like to sing it instead. I said: “Oh, I don’t know” – but I wound up winning the show. I loved that song and I still love it because of that experience.





The record that makes me want to dance

Money Honey by Clyde McPhatter and the Drifters (1953)

I was listed in my yearbook as having an affinity for dancing. I loved to dance and this is a song that would get me going. I listened to the Drifters a lot when I was younger – Clyde McPhatter, the lead singer, is a very important name in black music history. But, really, I’d dance to whatever everybody else was dancing to. If other people in my age group liked it, I liked it too, because I was young and easily influenced, as young people are.






The music I play to relax

Études Op 10, Chopin (1833)

I wanted to be a Chopin genius when I was younger, just to upset people, but I did not succeed with that effort as much as I thought I would. But when I want to play something to make me feel at ease, I play Chopin’s first Étude, which is just beautiful.







The hip-hop record I love

Killing Me Softly by the Fugees (1996)

I love hip-hop. In fact I love music, period. Lauryn Hill recorded Killing Me Softly [with the Fugees] and did an excellent job. She’s a genius musician and so is Wyclef Jean who co-produced it. I’m not going to hold on to that song with my heart and bleed to death while someone else covers it; I’m a music lover who has enough experience and common sense to know that it’s good they recorded it and had a hit. I had a hit with it, too, but I wasn’t the first person who recorded it.






The song I made my own

In My Life by the Beatles (1965)

I started finding my voice around the time the Beatles started playing and I bought everything they recorded. I learned all of their songs and taught them to my students in junior high school in Washington DC. What appeals to me about the Beatles is their purity. They weren’t waiting for somebody else to come up with the idea, it just came out of them. They were several steps beyond original. When it came to recording my Beatles covers album in 2012, I had found my own space with their music and was able to interpret their songs in my own way.


http://www.jazzwax.com/2012/02/interview-roberta-flack.html



February 03, 2012







Roberta Flack: 'Now's a good time to love music'


Soul singer Roberta Flack, who will be touring the UK with Legends Live this autumn, talks about her enduring love of music










Roberta Flack performing in 1976
Roberta Flack performing in 1976 Photo: ROBERT LEGON/REX



"It's a perfect song. Second only to Amazing Grace, I think."
Roberta Flack is telling me about The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, her biggest hit and one of the most-covered songs in history. 
"People just respond to it, they hear it and they don't know what to do. I never met Ewan MacColl [the English folk singer who wrote it] but I met his wife, Peggy Seeger, whom he wrote it for. He's a perfect composer, and it says a lot about his talent and his romance for her that here I am, still singing it all these years later." 
Forty-six years, to be precise, since Flack first recorded the song on her debut album First Take, and 42 since she and MacColl won both Record and Song of the Year respectively at the 1973 Grammy awards. Now in her late seventies, she's set to perform three dates in the UK in October on the Legends Live tour, with fellow stalwarts of soul Dionne Warwick, The Drifters, and Mary Wilson of The Supremes. 
Roberta Flack performing in Washington in 2003 (Photo: AP Photo/Vivian Ronay)
 
"I'm very excited, I don't remember the last time I was in London but it's been a while," she tells me on the phone from America. "I've worked with Dionne and The Drifters before – though they've changed since then – but never with Mary Wilson." 

The first singer to win the Grammy Record of the Year two years running, Flack is best known for her singles, The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Killing Me Softly with His Song, Feel Like Makin' Love, and Where Is the Love. Singing professionally since 1968, Flack's music spans folk, soul, R&B and jazz, her most recent record a collection of Beatles covers, Let It Be Roberta, in 2012. After so long, is soul music still thriving, as in Flack's Seventies heyday? 

"There's a lot we can be sure of, as humans, and change is one of the big ones. The genre has changed, but I've never thought of music as 'soul', rather 'soul-ful'," she says. "Music is a big wide area, it covers elements of soul in a very unique way, but now, we are living in a time when music is more soulfully performed by everybody. There's very little difference in black music and white music – it's a good time and a good space for how music is interpreted. Nowadays, everybody has a licence to like what they like. When I was young, we were not given that choice. It wasn't strange back then, and we didn't ask for it. But we have it now. 

"Now's a good time to love music – any kind of music." So what contemporary artists does she like? She surprises me: "I listen to Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj – just like everybody else." She raves about one artist in particular, "I love Diana Krall, she's married to Elvis Costello. She's beautiful and so talented." 

I note that she has mentioned only female artists – is it easier for women in the music industry now than it was when she was younger? 

"Back in the Seventies, I didn't feel like I had to fight to get my voice heard. It might have been hard for some, but when things are difficult, that inspires me even more to do things. 

"It's a hard business," she continues. "But man or woman, you face difficulties in life. The song is the telling factor – if it catches you deeply, you hang on to that feeling." 

 
On stage in 1972 (Photo: Rex) 
 
It's clear, from the passion with which she discusses the world of music – both her own and others' – that songs have been catching her deeply for a long time. Born into a musical family in North Carolina, Flack began learning to play the piano at nine, and was awarded a full music scholarship to Howard University in Washington DC by the age of 15. 

"I never expected I'd still be performing at this age, definitely not as a soloist – and of popular songs too! I thought I'd be playing Chopin and classical piano, but that's not how God had it planned, and it's a wonderful thing." 

Flack began graduate studies in music at 19, but her father's sudden death forced her to start teaching. She juggled the job with performing nights and weekends in clubs around Washington, widening her repertoire from classical to pop and eventually, she says "being given a chance" and going professional. Her command of the conversation implies that the teacher instinct is still within her – she agrees. 

"There's a lot to be said about performing and teaching. To tell an interesting class, to make a point, people consider me to be teaching. I love sharing songs with people when I sing. When I started out, I wanted to be the world's greatest musician," she jokes. "Just kidding. I wanted to be successful, a serious all-round musician. I listened to a lot of Aretha, The Drifters, trying to do some of that myself, playing, teaching. I was always busy working at a restaurant in DC. I wanted to play Chopin's Études on stage – all piano players do. I'd hear a song, have it in my head and think, 'listen, I gotta share this'."

Killing Me Softly With His Song on MUZU.TV.

Now, she admits, she doesn't play classical music as much as she "should", but that background helped her. "I feel trained. I'm very picky when I choose songs, a lot of that has to do with the fact that I can read music very well." 

Does she write any of her own music? "Sometimes," she ponders. "I like to have songs written specifically for me, and now I'm older, I have a bit more choice. Some of the songs I picked weren't hits, but I love music. I'm a teacher and a student of music. People expect you to perform music that they have heard. I don't have that many hit tunes, so the rest of the time on stage I spend doing songs that I like." 

The list of artists Flack has worked with over the years is impressive. One day in the studio, early in her career, her producer arrived and said "Look who I've got here for you". It was Cissy Houston (mother of Whitney), frequent backup singer for Aretha Franklin and Elvis Presley, ready to lend her vocals to Flack's third album Quiet Fire. Flack was humbled. She regularly teamed up to record with Donny Hathaway, and has sung on stage with many of the greats, including Franklin, George Benson, Peggy Lee and Sarah Vaughan. 

"There's no single collaborator I liked best. I love folk music and working with Bob Dylan – I think there are few better songs than Just Like a Woman. I loved working with Richie Havens, Elton John, artists in general who are talented and open to sharing that talent." 

One of those was Peabo Bryson, with whom she dueted on her favourite song from the Eighties, Tonight, I Celebrate My Love. From the Seventies, she names Killing Me Softly With His Song – which won her two Grammys in 1974 – and, unsurprisingly, First Time. 

Play Misty for Me, with Donna Mills and actor-director Clint Eastwood REX FEATURES
 
It's not just her most successful song, but it's the one that kick started her fame when Clint Eastwood used it in his debut directorial feature, Play Misty For Me, in 1972. 

"When he asked me to do it, I could never find the words. Someone I admire as an artist wanted to do it just like I did it – he was so sincere, he wanted it just how it sounds. 'Isn't it too slow?' I asked. He replied, 'No, just like that, all of it.' And he played all five minutes and 22 seconds of it. I thought, if he's willing to do that, I must be doing something right.
"I wish more songs I had chosen had moved me the way that one did. I've loved every song I've recorded, but that one was pretty special." 


Legends Live (Roberta Flack, Dionne Warwick, The Drifters, Mary Wilson) will be play London's The SSE Arena, Wembley (3 October); Birmingham Barclaycard Arena (4 October) and Manchester Arena (6 October).


http://www.houstonpress.com/music/killin-them-softly-celebrating-75-years-of-roberta-flack-6760863


Killin' Them Softly: Celebrating 75 Years Of Roberta Flack



Killin' Them Softly: Celebrating 75 Years Of Roberta Flack

To strike someone with the "underrated greatness" term always carries a bit of weight behind it. You know, the quick snap question of "do they deserve it" comes to mind.

Sorry, in the class of underrated greatness, diva subsection, lives Roberta Flack who at the platinum age of 75 still takes risks musically and creatively.

Flack, known for her duets with tragic soul singer Donny Hathaway and her solo work such as "Killing Me Softly," "The First Time I Ever Saw Your Face," "Feel Like Making Love" and more, is prepping an album of Beatles covers entitled Let It Be Roberta. It's not the first all-Beatles cover album that I've come across, but it may be one of themost traditionally rich ones vocally.

The first Roberta Flack record I can even recall is arguably her best-known crossover hit. Her voice sucked in everything inside my mom's old '91 Plymouth Acclaim while having to deal with traffic leaving the YMCA off of Chimney Rock. Loose guitar strums were the only instrument backing her. Wyclef, a radio staple at this time in 1997 was null and void on this day.


I knew Lauryn Hill sampled the song by then. I also knew her version earned a silver medal compared to Roberta's.
 
It sounded like drinking an entire bottle of smooth Crown Royal with none of it affecting your vocal chords, but burning the absolute shit out of your chest. If it were tailored for a modern artist, you'd expect Adele to crush such things. Ironically, Flack's birthday comes two days before this year's Grammy Awards, where she remains the only woman to ever nab Record Of The Year in consecutive years (1973, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"; 1974, "Killing Me Softly with His Song").

Hathaway had long been a staple in the Brando household, not only since both parents grew up in the era where Hathaway was seen as another speaker of the heart, but could easily make people fall in love all at once. I could say that "The Closer I Get To You" immediately spawned half of a generation and was played at local dances for a good 20 years, but I may be wrong. The double whammy from Flack and Hathaway ("Where Is The Love" and "The Closer I Get To You") rode on the same string that Marvin Gaye had with Tammi Terrell, but in both situations everything ended tragically. Terrell died of a brain tumor in 1970, and Hathaway committed suicide in 1979.

For all of her success in the '70s and more, hearing the words that Roberta Flack is doing a Beatles cover album isn't any more shocking than watching M.I.A. be defiant and stand out in a halftime show where Madonna blended her '90s hits with goddamn LMFAO. Greatness tends to be given its own lane to tread and work within. I wouldn't expect anything less from the wonderful Ms. Flack.

The young me who first heard her in the front seat of a bruise-red colored Plymouth wouldn't either.


https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2007/09/roberta-flack-all-blues-frankie-and-johnny.html

Roberta Flack - All Blues / Frankie and Johnny

Roberta Flack - Just Like A Woman

Springfield Civic Center (Springfield, MA), 10/01/1972

Music  |  Audio
Embed
 
The late 1960s/early 1970's was an era of great musical diversity, but few musicians were as diverse or adept at interpreting contemporary songs as Roberta Flack. Her versatile body of work encompasses soul, R&B, jazz, folk and pop, but regardless of genres, Flack's voice penetrates straight to the heart and stirs emotions. Flack's recording career began in 1968, but being classically trained and perceived as a serious artist made it difficult to achieve widespread commercial success. Flack's initial recordings were critically acclaimed, but did not sell particularly well. This all changed in 1971 when Clint Eastwood chose "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," a track from Flack's 1969 album, First Takes, for the soundtrack of his directorial debut, Play Misty For Me. This was the turning point in her career as the song became a #1 hit the following year. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" and her other intimate, folk- oriented 1973 hit, "Killing Me Softly With His Song" would cement her reputation, receiving a Grammy for Record Of The Year. 

This performance, recorded near the tail end of 1972, captures Roberta Flack during this most compelling era. On this tour Flack had assembled one of the most phenomenal bands one could possibly imagine. Augmenting her own impressive Grand piano work is the electric pianist, Richard Tee, who had graced hundreds of notable recordings as well as cellist Terry Plumieri. Jazz guitarist Eric Gale, another ubiquitous session musician had a well established reputation, including memorable sessions with Aretha Franklin, Paul Simon and Carly Simon, to name but a few. Bassist Chuck Rainey was once tagged "the hardest working bass player in America" and his session work remains unparalleled to the present day. The same can be said for percussionist Ralph McDonald and drummer Rick Moratta. These musicians lay down the perfect grooves for Flack, unburdened by ego and needless complexity. Flack's rich, soothing delivery and her band's refined performances are undeniably captivating. 

The recording begins near the end of Flack's first set of the evening, with "Do What You Gotta Do," a soulful track off her second album. This first set concludes with Flack's take on Marvin Gaye's classic, "Inner City Blues," a nearly eleven-minute groove fest that allows her to introduce these great musicians, allowing each to take a solo in the process. However, it is the second set that truly reveals Flack's great diversity.

After the intermission, Flack returns to the stage. She begins the second set uncharacteristically, beginning with a humorous rendition of "Tennessee Waltz," a song then synonymous with Patti Page. This song is so embedded in American musical culture that it's hard to imagine bringing anything new to the table, but Flack does just that by her soulful phrasing. Prior to the next song, Flack delivers a monologue about her younger days studying classical piano and the equality issues black artists face in the classical music world. This serves as the perfect prelude to the ballad "It Could Happen To You," where one may recognize the theme to Rachmaninoff 2nd Piano Concerto. Next up is a lovely interpretation of Stevie Wonder's "Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer," that is undeniably classy, smooth and sophisticated.

Flack has the audience in the palm of her hand by this point, so she takes the opportunity to have some fun by telling a joke, before offering up an intoxicating blend of "Frankie & Johnnie" paired with Miles Davis's "All Blues." In the hands of Flack and these outstanding musicians, both songs truly become one with the edges deliciously blurred. This is a truly astounding performance both vocally and instrumentally. The unique interpretation of Bob Dylan's "Just Like A Woman," with the chorus rewritten in the first person, is equally captivating, as is this live performance of "First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," featuring beautiful cello accompaniment by Plumieri. She concludes this concert with "No Tears (In The End)," a preview of a song destined for her next album. Reminiscent of her Atlantic Records labelmate, Aretha Franklin, this number demonstrates one of Flack's specialties, hooking into the phrase with the most power and repeating it over and over with deliriously effective results.

This concert makes it abundantly clear that Flack is a serious talent who pursues her vision without limitations. These performances are a true testament to her music's seductive power.

 
THE MUSIC OF ROBERTA FLACK: AN EXTENSIVE VIDEO OVERVIEW, A CROSS SECTION OF RECORDINGS, MUSICAL ANALYSIS AND COMMENTARY, PLUS VARIOUS INTERVIEWS WITH MS. FLACK:


Roberta Flack--"Compared To What"
(Music and lyrics by Eugene McDaniels,  arrangement by Roberta Flack)

From the album 'FIRST TAKE'--Atlantic Records, 1969

 



Roberta Flack--"Reverend Lee"  
(Music and lyrics by Eugene McDaniels; arrangement by Donny Hathaway)

From the album 'Chapter Two'--Atlantic Records,  1970:


 

Roberta Flack--"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"--1969 

From the album 'First Take'; reappeared as major part of film soundtrack for 'Play Misty For Me'  (1971)

 

From the album 'Quiet Fire'--Atlantic Records--1971:

 


Roberta Flack and Donny Hathawat --"I (Who) Have Nothing":


 


Roberta Flack Greatest Hits - 

Roberta Flack Playlist:

 


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roberta_Flack

Roberta Flack



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Roberta Flack
Roberta Flack43.JPG
Roberta Flack in concert in 1992
Background information
Birth name Roberta Cleopatra Flack
Also known as Rubina Flake[1]
Born February 10, 1939 (age 77) Black Mountain, North Carolina, United States
Genres Jazz, folk, soul, R&B
Occupation(s) Singer-songwriter, musician
Instruments Vocals, piano, keyboards
Years active 1968–present
Labels Atlantic (1968–1996) Angel / Capitol (1997) RAS / 429 / Sony/ATV (2011–present)
Associated acts Donny Hathaway Peabo Bryson Maxi Priest
Website Robertaflack.com
 
Roberta Cleopatra Flack (born February 10, 1939)[2] is an American singer and musician. She is best known for her classic #1 singles "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", "Killing Me Softly with His Song" and "Feel Like Makin' Love", and for "Where Is the Love" and "The Closer I Get to You", two of her many duets with Donny Hathaway.

Flack was the first to win the Grammy Award for Record of the Year two consecutive times. "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" won at the 1973 Grammys and "Killing Me Softly with His Song" won at the 1974 Grammys. She remains the only solo artist to have accomplished this feat.

Contents


Early life

Flack lived with a musical family, born in Black Mountain, North Carolina to parents Laron LeRoy (October 11, 1911 – July 12, 1959) and Irene Flack (September 28, 1911 – January 17, 1981)[3] a church organist,[4] on February 10, 1939 (sources differ) and raised in Arlington, Virginia.[5] She first discovered the work of African American musical artists when she heard Mahalia Jackson and Sam Cooke sing in a predominantly African-American Baptist church.

When Flack was 9, she started taking an interest in playing the piano,[3] and during her early teens, Flack so excelled at classical piano that Howard University awarded her a full music scholarship.[6] By age 15, she entered Howard University, making her one of the youngest students ever to enroll there. She eventually changed her major from piano to voice, and became an assistant conductor of the university choir. Her direction of a production of Aida received a standing ovation from the Howard University faculty. Flack is a member of Delta Sigma Theta sorority and was made an honorary member of Tau Beta Sigma by the Eta Delta Chapter at Howard University for her outstanding work in promoting music education.

Roberta Flack became a student teacher at a school near Chevy Chase, Maryland. She graduated from Howard University at 19 and began graduate studies in music, but the sudden death of her father forced her to take a job teaching music and English for $2800 a year in Farmville, North Carolina.[citation needed]

Career

Early career

Before becoming a professional singer-songwriter, Flack returned to Washington, D.C. and taught at Browne Junior High and Rabaut Junior High. She also taught private piano lessons out of her home on Euclid St. NW. During this period, her music career began to take shape on evenings and weekends in Washington, D.C. area night spots. At the Tivoli Club, she accompanied opera singers at the piano. During intermissions, she would sing blues, folk, and pop standards in a back room, accompanying herself on the piano. Later, she performed several nights a week at the 1520 Club, again providing her own piano accompaniment. Around this time, her voice teacher, Frederick "Wilkie" Wilkerson, told her that he saw a brighter future for her in pop music than in the classics. She modified her repertoire accordingly and her reputation spread.[citation needed] Flack began singing professionally after being hired to perform regularly at Mr. Henry's Restaurant, on Capitol Hill, Washington, DC in 1968.[7][8]

Mr. Henry’s is still in operation at 6th and Pennsylvania Ave, SE, and was owned by Henry Yaffe.

The atmosphere in Mr. Henry’s was welcoming and the club turned into a showcase for the young music teacher. Her voice mesmerized locals and word spread. A-list entertainers who were appearing in town would come in late at night to hear her sing (frequent visitors included Woody Allen, Bill Cosby, Ramsey Lewis and others).

As Yaffe recalled, “She told me if I could give her work there three nights a week, she would quit teaching.” He did and she did.

To meet Roberta’s exacting standards, Yaffe transformed the apartment above the bar into the Roberta Flack Room. “I got the oak paneling from the old Dodge Hotel near Union Station. I put in heavy upholstered chairs, sort of a conservative style from the 50s and an acoustical system designed especially for Roberta. She was very demanding. She was a perfectionist.”

1970s

Les McCann discovered Flack singing and playing jazz in a Washington nightclub.[3] He later said on the liner notes of what would be her first album First Take noted below, "Her voice touched, tapped, trapped, and kicked every emotion I've ever known. I laughed, cried, and screamed for more...she alone had the voice." Very quickly, he arranged an audition for her with Atlantic Records, during which she played 42 songs in 3 hours for producer Joel Dorn. In November 1968, she recorded 39 song demos in less than 10 hours. Three months later, Atlantic reportedly recorded Roberta's debut album, First Take, in a mere 10 hours.[5] Flack later spoke of those studio sessions as a "very naive and beautiful approach... I was comfortable with the music because I had worked on all these songs for all the years I had worked at Mr. Henry's."

Flack's cover version of "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" hit number seventy-six on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1972. Her Atlantic recordings did not sell particularly well, until actor/director Clint Eastwood chose a song from First Take, "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face", for the sound track of his directorial debut Play Misty for Me; it became the biggest hit of the year for 1972 – spending six consecutive weeks at #1 and earning Flack a million-selling Gold disc.[9] The First Take album also went to #1 and eventually sold 1.9 million copies in the United States. Eastwood, who paid $2,000 for the use of the song in the film,[10] has remained an admirer and friend of Flack's ever since. It was awarded the Grammy Award for Record of the Year in 1973. In 1983, she recorded the end music to the Dirty Harry film Sudden Impact at Eastwood's request.[5]

Roberta Flack soon began recording regularly with Donny Hathaway, scoring hits such as the Grammy-winning "Where Is the Love" (1972) and later "The Closer I Get to You" (1978) – both million-selling gold singles.[9] Flack and Hathaway recorded several duets together, including two LPs, until Hathaway's 1979 death.[citation needed]
On her own, Flack scored her second #1 hit in 1973, "Killing Me Softly with His Song" written by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel, and originally performed by Lori Lieberman.[11] It was awarded both Record of the Year and Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female at the 1974 Grammy Awards. Its parent album was Flack's biggest-selling disc, eventually earning double platinum certification. 1974 also saw Flack sing the lead on a Sherman Brothers song called "Freedom", which featured prominently at the opening and closing of the movie Huckleberry Finn.

1980s

Roberta Flack had a 1982 hit single with "Making Love", written by Burt Bacharach (the title track of the 1982 film of the same name), which reached #13. She began working with Peabo Bryson with more limited success, charting as high as #5 on the R&B chart (plus #16 Pop and #4 Adult Contemporary) with "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love" in 1983. Her next two singles with Bryson, "You're Looking Like Love To Me" and "I Just Came Here To Dance," fared better on adult contemporary (AC) radio than on pop or R&B radio.



Flack performing in Boston, Mass., on August 28, 2013
In 1986, Flack sang the theme song entitled "Together Through the Years" for the NBC television series, Valerie later known as The Hogan Family. The song was used throughout the show's six seasons. Oasis was released in 1988 and failed to make an impact with pop audiences, though the title track reached #1 on the R&B chart and a remix of "Uh-Uh Ooh-Ooh Look Out (Here It Comes)" topped the dance chart in 1989. Flack found herself again in the US Top 10 with the hit song "Set the Night to Music", a 1991 duet with Jamaican vocalist Maxi Priest that peaked at #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts and #2 AC. Flack's smooth R&B sound lent itself easily to Easy Listening airplay during the 1970s, and she has had four #1 AC hits.

Later career

In 1999, a star with Flack's name was placed on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.[6] That same year, she gave a concert tour in South Africa; the final performance was attended by President Nelson Mandela. In 2010, she appeared on the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards, singing a duet of "Where Is The Love" with Maxwell.

In February 2012, Flack released Let it Be Roberta, an album of Beatles covers including "Hey Jude" and "Let it Be". It is her first recording in over eight years.[12] Flack knew John Lennon and Yoko Ono, as both households moved in 1975 into The Dakota apartment building in New York City, and had apartments across the hall from each other. Flack has stated that she has already been asked to do a second album of Beatles covers.[13] She is currently involved in an interpretative album of the Beatles' classics.[14]

Personal life

Flack is a member of the Artist Empowerment Coalition, which advocates the right of artists to control their creative properties. She is also a spokeswoman for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals; her appearance in commercials for the ASPCA featured "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face". In the Bronx section of New York City, the Hyde Leadership Chart School's after-school music program is called "The Roberta Flack School of Music" and is in partnership with Flack, who founded the school, which provides free music education to underprivileged students.[15]

Between 1966 and 1972, she was married to Steve Novosel.[3] Flack is the aunt of the professional ice skater Rory Flack. She is mother to rhythm and blues musician Bernard Wright.[16][17][18]

According to a DNA analysis, she descended, mainly, from people of Cameroon.[19]

In popular culture

Her collaboration with Donny Hathaway is mentioned in the song "What A Catch, Donnie" on Fall Out Boy's fifth studio album, Folie à Deux.

American experimental producer Flying Lotus had a song named after her ("RobertaFlack") on his Los Angeles album.[20]

In 1991, Hong Kong singer Sandy Lam recorded a covered version of "And So It Goes" called "微涼" in the album 夢了、瘋了、倦了. Although it was not officially promoted by the record company, it was played by many DJs.

In the Red Hot Chili Peppers' song "My Lovely Man", on the album Blood Sugar Sex Magik, Anthony Kiedis sang "I listen to Roberta Flack, but I know you won't come back."

She is a favourite singer of Vic Wilcox, manager of an engineering firm in David Lodge's campus/industrial novel "Nice Work", winner of the Sunday Express Book of the Year award in 1988.

Accolades

Flack was inducted into the North Carolina Music Hall of Fame in 2009.[21]

Grammy Awards

The Grammy Awards are awarded annually by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Flack has received four awards from thirteen nominations.[22]

Year Nominee/Work Award Result
1972 "You've Got a Friend" (with Donny Hathaway) Best R&B Vocal Performance by a Group Nominated
1973 "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" Record of the Year Won
Quiet Fire Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female Nominated
"Where Is the Love" (with Donny Hathaway) Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus Won
1974 Killing Me Softly Album of the Year Nominated
"Killing Me Softly with His Song" Record of the Year Won
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female Won
1975 "Feel Like Makin' Love" Record of the Year Nominated
Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female Nominated
1979 "The Closer I Get to You" (with Donny Hathaway) Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo or Group Nominated
1981 Roberta Flack Featuring Donny Hathaway Best R&B Vocal Performance, Female Nominated
"Back Together Again" (with Donny Hathaway) Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal Nominated
1995 Roberta Best Traditional Pop Vocal Performance Nominated

American Music Awards

The American Music Awards is an annual awards ceremony created by Dick Clark in 1973. Flack has received one award from six nominations.

Year Nominee/Work Award Result
1974
Favorite Female Artist (Pop/Rock) Nominated

Favorite Female Artist (Soul/R&B) Won
"Killing Me Softly with His Song" Favorite Single (Pop/Rock) Nominated
1975
Favorite Female Artist (Soul/R&B) Nominated
"Feel Like Makin' Love" Favorite Single (Soul/R&B) Nominated
1979
Favorite Female Artist (Soul/R&B) Nominated

Discography



References





  • "Music: What Ever Happened to Rubina Flake?". time.com (Time, Inc.). May 12, 1975. Retrieved 2015-08-22.

  • https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=Roberta%20Flack%20born&oq=Roberta%20Flack%20born&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.4534j0j7. Missing or empty |title= (help)

  • "Roberta Flack Page". Soulwalking.co.uk. February 10, 1937. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

  • "Robert Flack profile at". Biography.com. Retrieved August 1, 2012.

  • Steve Huey (February 10, 1939). "Roberta Flack | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-05-23.

  • "Roberta Flack". Roberta Flack. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

  • "Mr. Henry's Restaurant – History Summary". Mrhenrysrestaurant.com. Retrieved 2014-05-23.

  • "Mr. Henry's Restaurant – Home". Mrhenrysrestaurant.com. Retrieved 2014-05-23.

  • Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2nd ed.). London: Barrie and Jenkins Ltd. p. 312. ISBN 0-214-20512-6.

  • McGillagan (1999), p.194

  • Pond, Steve (June 12, 1997). "Singer's Career Was Softly Killed By Bad Luck And Insecurity". The Deseret News. Retrieved April 10, 2011.

  • "Roberta Flack Gearing Up for Release of New Album "LET IT BE ROBERTA: ROBERTA FLACK SINGS THE BEATLES," an Album of Beatles' Classics". Yahoo! Finance. January 17, 2012.

  • "Roberta Flack's Long And Winding Road". NPR. February 18, 2012.

  • "Roberta Flack Biography". Robertaflack.com. Retrieved 2014-05-23.

  • "Roberta Flack School of Music". Robertaflack.com. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

  • Jacobson, Robert. "Roberta Flack – Biography". encyclopedia.com. encyclopedia.com. Retrieved 2015-01-14.

  • DeCurtis, Anthony (March 23, 1997). "Two Seasoned Voices, Together Raised for a Cause". nytimes.com (New York Times). Retrieved 2015-01-14.

  • "Roberta Flack". prabook.org. Prabook. Retrieved 2015-01-14.

  • "Growing Interest in DNA-Based Genetic Testing Among African American with Historic Election of President Elect Barack Obama". Prweb.com. Retrieved 2012-11-11.

  • "Flying Lotus – Los Angeles at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2012-05-13.

  • "2009 Inductees". North Carolina Music Hall of Fame. Retrieved September 10, 2012.


    1. "Past Winners Search". Grammy.com. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
    Sarah Bryan and Beverly Patterson, African American Trails of Eastern North Carolina, North Carolina Arts Council, 2013, p. 92 Roberta Flack, ISBN 978-1469610795

    Bibliography

    External links